Baked Mac n Cheese. This baked mac and cheese is a family favorite recipe, loved by both children and adults. My version uses a combination of cheeses for a gloriously cheesy dish! This rich and creamy baked mac and cheese with a delicious cheese sauce and crunchy, buttery breadcrumb topping is a decadent treat that takes comfort food.
I used three different cheese and a homemade cheese sauce to take this macaroni and cheese recipe. Still the best Baked Mac and Cheese I've ever had, with a stunning white creamy cheese sauce and a buttery breadcrumb topping. This is THE Macaroni Cheese recipe that's wildly popular every Thanksgiving and Christmas! You can cook Baked Mac n Cheese using 10 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Baked Mac n Cheese
- Prepare 1/4 cup of butter or margarine.
- You need 3 tbsp of all-purpose flour.
- You need 2 cup of warm milk. microwave 2 cups of milk for about a minute to a minute and a half.
- You need 1/2 tsp of salt.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of ground black pepper.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of chili powder…… to taste. you can substitute with cayenne for more spice if you wish. The cover photo shown, I used chili powder.
- You need 8 oz of cream cheese.
- Prepare 10 oz of shredded sharp white cheddar (I use cracker barrel aged reserve).
- It’s 8 oz of elbow macaroni cooked drained.
- You need 1/2 cup of seasoned bread crumbs.
Made this mac n cheese bake per recipe and my family loved it. My wife and mother-in-law and oldest daughter thought it was great as is. My youngest and I, both charter members of BLAm (Bacon Lovers of America) will insist upon the smokey, cured goodness of pig candy being in the recipe next time. Baked mac and cheese: If you have a little extra time, you can bake the macaroni and cheese to give it a golden crust.
Baked Mac n Cheese instructions
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Use a 3 qt pan to melt butter or margarine on medium low heat. Add flour and whisk until smooth and lump free. Slowly stir in warm milk whisking constantly. Let cook for about 5 minutes or until thickened..
- Add salt, pepper and chili powder and cream cheese. Mix until cream cheese melts thoroughly. Remove from heat and immediately add shredded cheese (save some for the top). Mix well..
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, pour cheese mixture over cooked, drained macaroni. Mix until all pasta is coated and let it set in the bowl for 5 minutes or so. This helps give the pasta time to absorb some of the cheese sauce..
- Spoon macaroni and cheese mixture into a greased 2 quart baking dish. Add some shredded cheese to the top and sprinkle with seasoned bread crumbs. For more crunch add more crumbs. Bake for 20 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown..
Uncover, sprinkle with breadcrumbs and a few pats of butter if. Southern Baked Mac and Cheese – super creamy, cheesy, soulful baked mac and cheese filled with great Southern flavors. You will never break open a box again! Serve with a sprinkle of the bread crumb mixture for added lemonparade. This is the best Mac n cheese I've ever had!