You can have Mexican Rice using 11 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Mexican Rice
- Prepare of tomatoes, canned crushed (or fresh).
- It’s of medium white onion, quartered.
- Prepare of medium jalapeños, minced.
- It’s of canola oil.
- It’s of long grain white rice (400g).
- Prepare of garlic cloves, minced.
- Prepare of chicken broth.
- You need of tomato paste (may omit if using canned tomatoes).
- You need of salt.
- Prepare of lime, in wedges.
- It’s of fresh cilantro, minced.
Mexican Rice step by step
- Rinse rice in a fine mesh strainer under cold running water until water runs clear. Shake off all excess water and put aside to dry..
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat to 350°F..
- Blend tomato and onion until pureed, reserve exactly 2 cups..
- Mince jalapeños, remove ribs and seeds..
- Heat oil in oven-safe pot or Dutch oven over low-medium heat. Fry rice, stirring until rice is light golden and translucent, about 6-8 minutes..
- Reduce heat to medium and add garlic and half of the minced jalapeños. Stir constantly until fragrant, about 1 1/2 minutes..
- Stir in broth, pureed onions and tomatoes, and salt. Increase heat to medium high and bring to a simmer..
- When simmering, add lid and bake ~25 minutes until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, remove from oven and stir every 10 minutes..
- When rice is cooked, remove from oven and stir in remaining minced jalapeño and cilantro to taste. Serve with lime wedges..